3/22/2009

TIME FOR A ROLLBACK

So I'm not the greatest Walmart fan anyway...but I was getting some Easter egg hunt supplies and thought I would try both Walmart and Target for comparisons sake. And they are across the street from each other, so easy enough.

First, you should know that I LOVE Target. They have cool stuff and great prices. Plus my store is so well run, that I rarely wait in line, I always have access to new stock availability before others in the area, and the turn-around time on items is super quick making for an awesome clearance selection.

I'm hesitant to frequent Walmart due to it's immense parking lot that always seems to be 3/4 full, their poor customer service and they always seem to have a 7 person line at EVERY checkout - minimum.

So I went to said Target to get some things. Plastic Easter buckets for $.99, kids movies for $5.50, some bagged candy for $2 and Easter grass for $.29 ea. I wanted to look at the toys at Walmart, so I opted to wait to buy my Peeps there as well.

At Walmart, I got my Peeps for $.99 but struck out on toys. Since I was there I decided to price check some of the things I got at Target, preparing myself for some agitation and disappointment in what would inevitably turn out to be lower prices. After all, that is the Walmart reputation.

Imagine my surprise at plastic Easter buckets for $1.50 ea and, now brace yourself on this one, Easter grass for $1.50/bag! I kid you not! To their credit, they did have a larger selection of the "cheap" candies for $.78-.99 per bag, compared to Targets cheapest at $1.50 and their kid movies were $5 vs $5.50. but when I think about the math on these items and consider what I could have paid had I assumed Walmart was cheapest? I was shopping for three children and I bristle at the thought that I would have paid $9 for 3 buckets & 3 bags of coordinating Easter grass. This same purchase was $3.57 at Target.

I've heard they have great prices on their most competitive items, and maybe in the long run you'll save more? But they lost me. I'll reserve Walmart for random purchases if needed, but I won't be doing the bulk of my shopping there anytime soon.

Spend wisely.

3 comments:

  1. WORD to your mother! As a fellow Target-lover (so much so my 2-year-old has coined it as HER favorite store), it's nice to have some validation. Target really has got it goin' on! And people working there actually seem to enjoy themselves. AND they give away buckets of money to people I like.

    Sincerely,
    Rachel-loves-Target

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Target too, especially the new one on Meridian. Thanks for sharing the comparison shopping. It was interesting to see the price differences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this. I always assumed walmart was cheaper.

    ReplyDelete