8/25/2011

WHAT'S THE POINT?

I frequently facebook, twitter, blog, Instagram and FourSquare. I’m LinkedIn and tethered to my iPhone and iPad nearly all hours of the day. I can’t remember the last time I had a phone conversation with a friend and I interact with virtual strangers more than I see my sister.

It’s scary. And it’s lonely.

We’re fast becoming a society of quick results, instant meaningless interaction and detached individuals. Sure, you can see, at nearly any hour of the day, where I am, where I’ve been or where I’m going. You can read my rants and my musings, but you don’t know me. You can’t. You don’t hear my tone – though I try to write exactly how I speak. You don’t know the depth of my emotion – though I do attempt to be most honest. You don’t know if I like you, or merely tolerate you. You don’t know if I’m happy or if I’m a good actress. You don’t know if my facebook is real, or a best first impression.

You. Don’t. Know. Me.

So why do we do it?

My best answer is to stay current. To be relevant. And out of fear of becoming obsolete in this ever-changing, fast-paced society. And I think I’m not alone in this theory. As I watch and surf the World Wide Web and all the products that go with it, I see a shift. As we saw technology and cell phones get smaller and chicer, it didn’t last and we now see them getting bigger and almost reversing their path. We’re seeing the newest technology become video enabled to connect face-to-face instead of through 140-character conversations. Skype and 2-way video interface has become mainstream. This has to be a shift as a result of needing more human contact. We aren’t robots, we need facetime. It’s the basis of our being. We must have emotion and sensitivity to negotiate, to emulate, and to build any lasting connection. Without these things, we are merely words on a page. The ultimate unrequited relationship. What’s the point?

As I attempt to continue staying abreast of the newest apps and gizmos – which I do find valuable and important, I also realize I need time to step back and work on the friendships I enjoy. I need to grow them and nurture them. This cannot be done with text messages and retweets. This can only be done with sincerity and honesty and that can only be accomplished with real voices and facial expressions. So as convenient and accessible the internet is, I’m working to put it down. At least for a time. So I can refocus and prioritize.

I hope you can do the same.

1 comment:

  1. Love your writing...so glad it's back! You have such a great way of putting things.

    As for the topic to this post, I had an answer to your question "why do we blog, facebook, tweet, internet, etc..." in my mind and then you completely answered it yourself.

    Convenience.

    It's so much easier to stay in touch with so many more people in such an easier way then ever thanks to all this newfangled technology. It offers us a lot. However, I think you are right about the most important relationships need person-to-person / face-to-face interaction to really be meaningful...

    ...so i think I'll put my iPhone down now :)

    ReplyDelete