2/28/2010

MUSIC NOTES: NICK BOONE & GHOST TOWN RIOT

Got to flash back to my kidless youth these past 2 weeks with band watching and city life. Man, do I miss it. Or, maybe I just appreciate it that much more because I'm so far removed from it. Either way, a night in the city rarely disappoints.

At the near famous Comet Tavern up on Broadway, I watched my friends from Pillow Army do their thing. (They have a show coming up on the 3rd, by the way.) They get better and better, with a stage presence that outshines their recorded album. Their tight following sings along and it's a welcome afterparty post-performance. All this hob-nobbing on the scene got me in touch with another singer, Nick Boone who was plugging his upcoming gig. With the promise of a beer, the stars aligned and it just so happened I was able to make it to Nectar in Fremont.

Fast forward to the show at Nectar. I was instantly out of my element when walking into this 20-something frat house. Ick. The stag-party was clearly in search of the nights conquest and I'm not sure many were actually listening to the bands play, what with all that insanely high priced beer on tap. Yep, $6 for my Guiness. Ug.

Thge great thing about seeing bands play is that there is always more than one and sometimes you get a little surprise. My favorite on the bill turned out to be Ghost Town Riot. Maybe I have a little thing for lead guitarist, but that aside, I love this band. Considering that the near empty bar filled quickly for this gig, it was apparent that they have a good following and also can be found on KNDD, you know, The End? I'm seeking out a cd as we speak.

---

The Nick Boone Band seemed to be a major shift in gears for the evening. An obvious regular following in attendance, he has a warm stage persona and made a point of thanking me for coming, always a nice touch. His sound is strongly inspired by Dave Matthews, and that was before the blatant cover. His "hit" song Colors of this Life channels Jack Johnson and is a welcome sound amidst the rock. I like, but he real show stopper was his lead guitarist Armen George Khachatourian with a commanding solo. A charming ending to the show was cupcakes for the crowd. How sweet. But he still owes me a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment