3/03/2010

COMPOST, DECONSTRUCTED

I'm no master gardener.  I've used trial and error to hone my skill.  I found successful compost to be surprisingly easy and I haven't bought into all the "needs". I don't have a bin and had to start a pile in my yard.

My easy recipe is a 50/50 mix of soft yard waste to food scraps (which also includes coffee filters, paper towels and some shredded newspaper).

Yard Waste:
grass clippings
dead leaves
dead plants
- no hard sticks, branches, pine needles, etc. Also no weeds.

Food Waste (compiled into brown grocery bag):
coffee grounds & filter
egg shells & carton
banana peels
any fresh produce cuts & cast offs
- no animal fats of any kind (including butter on a napkin)

I let it sit outside in the sun and rain and I "turn" it every couple of weeks. It takes some time to get some dirt out of it. Covering with black landscape cloth or plastic keeps it 'hot' and will degrade the waste faster. I've been doing it for about 18 months and have a great, manageable, source of black gold.

So that's it!  Get out there and garden.  We couldn't ask for a better season - so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment