10/14/2011

SLOWING DOWN

So here we are at the start of the holiday season. It's a breakneck pace from Halloween through the New Year that includes a myriad of family parties, creative get togethers, kid events and, in my case, no less than half a dozen birthday parties. Toss in some festive cooking obligations and some serious shopping and my weekends for the next 10 weeks are just about full.

So as I plan and look into the next few months, I'm realizing that something has got to give. I don't need to spend days and weeks building up to each holiday with cooking AND crafts AND parties AND outings AND decorating AND shopping. What's typical for me has proven to be too much and I spend more time stressed over preparation than time spent enjoying the efforts.

This year I've already cut out my annual Halloween bash, which kills me, but as I realize that I don't have to stress over adult party games, a show stopping costume and the cash spent on food and drink, plus the hours of planning and decorating that my artistic and perfectionist self can dwell on, I'm a little relieved. And I'm getting too old for a hangover anyway.

The kids have already hit up a farm for pumpkins and treats with their aunties and the boy got to spend a morning at a farm for a field trip. With two pumpkin patch trips on the books for the kids, I'm thinking I don't need to oblige in any more visits to get a "family four" photo. And I certainy dont need anymore pumpkins to carve. Maybe I can let this go. The thought of one less trip to a pumpkin patch, one less event to spent money on, and a couple less pumpkins to carve (which eats up a couple hours itself) is inspiring. The same way I can let go of clutter and well intentioned items around the house prohibiting my sense of calm, I can let go of these extra events that just eat up time and prohibit my enjoyment. With this free time, I can try something new with the kids or spend some time in the kitchen crafting up some hearty winter eats. Or just hang with the kids and some puzzles on the floor. Something that can easily be overlooked in the day-to-day hustle of fitting everything in.

With Thanksgiving on the horizon and two separate family events that follow suit, I'm hoping to ride the momentum of my streamlined ideas of a more enjoyable schedule. I don't need to hand-craft a pie from scratch and I don't need to worry about the time suck and over-hyped Black Friday. That's what Costco and online shopping are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment