11/15/2011

#EAT COW


In what may seem a rash decision, we recently purchased a cow. Not a whole cow. We're not that intense. We bought a quarter of a cow. And that alone is over 200lbs of beef. We have hamburger, all the roast you could need and steaks I've never seen in the grocery let alone have a recipe for.

Needless to say, I've been busy cooking up this red meat and just trying to keep my family gout free.

When you get past the sheer quantity of meat I have in the garage freezer (and the fact that I can't even put a frozen pizza in there anymore) it's been a bit of a challenge to get this meat cooked and prepared in ways I've never tried before. You can only eat so much spaghetti and roast beef. I'm googling cuts of beef and digging out old school cook books to get this done.

I've had a lot of hits, like my favorite Guinness Beef Stew , a very healthy and hearty English Cottage Pie (thanks to a friend for suggesting from Cooking Light) and a new A.MA.ZING way to make a crock pot roast. I've had some serious misses too, like Swiss Steak (basically beef swimming in tomatoes) and Chicken Fried Steak which was AWFUL! Not only do we not eat much red meat, but we certainly don't eat it deep fried. Disgusting.

I've been busy thawing and cooking and creating a freezer full of actual meals which is turning into a fun way to pass time on the cold lonely winter days. And gives me a huge sense of accomplishment when I can pop out a frozen meal and know it was cooked without chemical and preservatives and saves me a ton of time to boot. This really works. Who knew?

Would I buy a cow again? I don't know. There is still a very serious amount of meat in my freezer. Eating it 3 days a week for the past 6 weeks hasn't seemed to make as big of a dent as I'd anticipated. And I'm starting to get steaked out. We'll see.

Stay tuned for more. And if you're interested in my other recipes, pop over here to check it out. And find me on twitter with tag: #eatcow

No comments:

Post a Comment