11/18/2011

STRIKE A POSE - DIY HOLIDAY PHOTOS

I dabble in photography and I love it. Every year I try to take our own photos for family cards because I like being creative and I don't like shelling out a couple hunsky for them to be done by someone else.

This isn't to say I don't value the professional shot. I do. It's just than within these last 2 months of the year, I have not one, not two but a minimum of 4 kid birthday parties to attend, including throwing my daughter one. It is also within these last couple months of the year that I'm hemorrhaging cash for candy, family parties, food events and toys to fill a small truck for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

This is a very spendy time of year at my house so I cut corners where I can. Beside, being the warm weather gal I am, I'd rather save the coin for having family shots done in some heat where I can actually show off myself without wearing 6 bulky layers. Yeah, I'm not really the outdoorsy type. And yes, I am a touch vain. Sue me.

This years' shots were easily done indoors on a very rainy and blustery day. I was actually mourning not getting the early snow like we did last year to give us the picture perfect wintery backdrop, but with a little loving on Pinterest, I got inspired and here are my shots.


Keep in mind, I used only strands of white lights. I plugged in about 6-7 strands to make a jumbo length of shimmer. I drapped about half over a mirror on the wall making sure they reached the ground, then ran the other half across a 6 ft span and drapped the rest over the front of a dining table. I then shot from under the table, and through the table-side strand of lights. Using a shallow depth of field and my 50mm 1.8, I was able to get the desired effect. It was helpful to have a North facing bay window to flood the space with natural white light. (My "studio" was my dining room.) The more space you have between your lights and your subject, the less defined your lighting will be. Play with it, have fun!


So I got the kids dolled up, touch of blush, pommade for the hair, and voila!
What do you think?


In case you are intersted, here's last years shots which were equally awesome and required only snow and some good attitudes:


2 comments:

  1. Love these. Thanks for the inspiration! What do you shoot with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I shoot with a Canon Rebel t1i. I favor my 50mm 1.8. That's what these were shot with.

    ReplyDelete